Grand Valley Trail - Black Walnut Hike #4

 


Hiked from Bloomingdale to Winterbourne 12.39km 

This part of the "trail" was so much road walking - and Sawmill Road was fairly busy.  Thankfully I had my headphones and once I put on some feel good music I was able to somewhat ignore the traffic, enjoy the farmer's fields and jog/walk to just get it done!  Someone is doing a lot of drinking and driving out there.  I saw lots of fancy drink bottles (mixed tequila drinks etc.) strewn over about 5km.  

My fastest kilometer happened to be right when a farmer was spraying his fields beside me, it was so nasty.  I felt bad for Kayla and wondered how safe it was for our lungs!  I ran with my handkerchief in front of my face cause it smelled like paint fumes. 

In Conestogo there was a really pretty park and forest by the river that would have been nice to explore called Priddle Park, I'm not sure I was looking at the golf course though, now that I think of it I think I might have been.  The Conestogo part of the trail was pretty because the road goes right beside the river, it's super close.  

After about 10 1/2 km of road walking I got to spend the last bit of my walk on private property in Winterbourne along the river.  Before we got down to the river, we followed Cox Creek down, Kayla jumped in the creek and had a huge drink.  There was a bit of a drop off so she could barely touch but I think she felt super refreshed.  I was happy that she got the drink but a little worried that the creek had farm chemicals in it... I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it if we hadn't just been inhaling stuff that spelled like paint for a 1/2 a km.

I ran into a group of old order Mennonites sitting at the river all dressed up.  I just quietly walked past as they pretty much ignored me, I felt awkward, like I was an interloper.  Who knows, maybe it was all in my head.  

When I got to the van I was a little disappointed that that section of the hike was over because it had been so beautiful.  A man on a motorcycle stopped on the road where I was parked (Buggy Lane - a dirt road across from the trail entrance).  We had a nice conversation and he told me that it's a really rich man who lets us walk on his property and that he has a landing strip there! That's one thing about that area, the houses are huge!  It was a nice way to end the hike.  

Favorites from yesterday:
Lucky ducks live here.

Cox Creek

My view most of the time

Conestogo is down the road

Finally see the river, still on the road but.... it's soooo close.

Kayla is a great companion.  She's ready to go home and have dinner though.


Future places to explore:
Snyder's Flats
Priddle Park

Comments